Implementing Social Thinking Concepts and Vocabulary: (kinder – young adult)
Registrations are now closed.
This full-day workshop is all about Social Thinking Vocabulary and concepts and is the best introduction to Social Thinking for professionals and parents. You will learn how to teach students to communicate through concepts such as “working as part of a group”, the “three parts of play,” “abstracting and inferencing information” and “sharing an imagination”. We will examine clinical examples that highlight how to make these abstract concepts more concrete and teachable. The Social Thinking Vocabulary is the backbone of Social Thinking teaching programs. Research published in 2008 in the Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders (Crooke, et al.) demonstrated how individuals benefited from learning these concepts. The study found that once children were taught how to think about the concepts, they were able to generalize the information. Participants will work in groups to learn how to use Social Thinking concepts across settings, creating one or two of their own lesson plans. We explore how to make lessons applicable across a variety of environments, and focus on enabling students to apply the lessons into the rest of their lives. Michelle will present some lessons from her book, Think Social! A Social Thinking Curriculum for School Aged Students, which is used in school districts around the world. This conference day offers an advanced exploration of Social Thinking – and is particularly suited for those who have read Social Thinking books, attended our workshops or are otherwise familiar with Social Thinking concepts. It is intended as a more advanced course for people who have attended one or more of the following workshops: Social Thinking Across the Home and School Day: The ILAUGH Model, The Social Thinking Informal Dynamic Assessment and Core Treatment Strategies, Thinking About YOU Thinking About ME AND/OR Have read one or more of the following books: Thinking About YOU, Thinking About ME, Inside Out: What Makes a Person With Social Cognitive Deficits Tick?, Think Social! A Social Thinking Curriculum
What you will learn
Participants will be able to:
1. Describe why the context or situation is key for figuring out social expectations and related social skills.
2. Describe the core steps of Social Behavior Mapping to help teach social responsibility.
3. Define at least five Social Thinking Vocabulary concepts.
4. Describe how Social Thinking Vocabulary concepts facilitate generalization across settings.
5. Describe the difference between sharing an imagination and a singular imagination as these relate to conversations and reading comprehension.
1. Super Keen rate for Professionals: $363.64 plus GST (i.e. $400). Tickets at this rate only available until 30 June 2017 – Great value!
2. Parent/carer rate: $272.73 plus GST (i.e.$300). Tickets at this rate only available until 30 June 2017. To obtain this rate ($100 off) add the workshop to your shopping cart and type Cairns Parent into the Discount Coupon box and press Apply Coupon. Then get a shipping quote and select Workshop Only. Note: This rate is for family members/carers assisting those in their care with social learning challenges. It is not available to professionals who will use the information as part of their paraprofessional or professional work.
3. Standard rate for all tickets post 30 June: $450 plus GST (i.e. $495) tickets available 1 July 2017 to 1 August 2017.
Note: All tickets sales are subject to seating availability and ticket sales will close when the venue is full. The workshop will be held at the Cairns Colonial Club Resort, entry via Behan Street. Workshop will commence at 8:30am and conclude at 4pm with registration open 7:45am.
Refund and Cancellation Policy: Our workshop refund and Cancellation Policy can be found here. By making payment you accept the terms as outlined.
Purchasing a workshop through the shopping cart on our website: After you add the workshop to your shopping cart, under “Estimate Shipping and Tax” add your State and Postcode, get a quote and select “Workshop Payment ONLY”. You won’t be charged postage. We will email you your Tax Invoice/Receipt.
What’s Included: This one-day workshop will include morning and afternoon tea and lunch. You can email any special dietary requirements to [email protected]
Who should attend? This workshop will suit teachers, other professionals and parents.